Monday, August 13, 2012

Rozey Rakhai!!!


Rozey rakhai, is a function wherein the relatives and friends gathers in their dazzling tasteless costumes (they think its Eid time already. Huh!), to inform you stridently, “Beta your time has come to initiate fasting in Rama’dan from now on.”

From the age of 9 it’s obligatory for any able Muslim male or female to commence fasting during the holy month of Rama’dan, save for rozey rakhai which can be ‘celebrated’ anytime amid the ages of 5 to 9. Mine took place when I was 5!

For once it’s not originates in Islam for sure or even anyplace in the world for that matter, but has an impressive place in Nizam’s Hyderabad. Indisputably the Nizam’s has lot to do with it, I assume.
So it was decided that one evening there will be a grand gathering of the whole khandaan for my rozey rakhai function in the holy month of Rama’dan. I, for all obvious reasons, cherished every bit of it, first I was not permitted to go to school (am I day dreaming!!!), secondly I was granted wishes/demands to eat/cook whatever I like and lastly I get to wear on that white kurta-pajama which ammi had stitched for me some days back.

The day passed with the bawarchi giving out the list of ingredients to cook Dum Biryani, Tarkari ki Biryani, Mirchi ka Salan, Tamate ka Cut, Haleem, Dahi bade, Raita, Khubani ka Meetha and of course my favorite Kheer, for the evening.

Ingredients arrived. Chopping is in progress. And while some relatives started pouring before time (I love them for that), the ultimate cooking started post lunch under the supervision of my mother.
Badi Aunty (mum’s 2nd sister) was the first to congratulate me and said with a sheepish smile, “ab maza aainga bachoo” (Now you shall have fun).

I don’t remember if Azhar mama (mum’s elder brother) was there (he moved to Dubai by then after marriage) but Choti Aunty (mum’s youngest sis) was unquestionably there in her yellow sharara, running from corner to corner making sure everything is in place.

Chote mama (mum’s younger brother) on the other hand, hasten in arranging dining tables for those who wear tight pants and some sit-down-dinner table, for the relax hassle free ones.

By evening I was amazed to see what enormous aangan we had. It has room for four dining tables of eight sitters comfortably. The veranada took away the remaining sit down takhat for roughly 50 to 60 people.
Aapi, Asif Bhaiya, I, and more or less everyone is ready by the dining table, over flowing with dates, juices and lots of fruits, waiting for the mousem saab to say the maghrib ki aazan by the sunset  which onset of breaking the fast. And initiation of my rozey rakhai.

After breaking fast (Iftar) and namaz-e-maghrib, everyone leisurely started gathering around me with gifts and best wishes. There were too many garlands and the beautifully wrap up in silver paper and covered with rose is phunna (poor version of the contemporary bouquet) only famous and available in Hyderabad to grip in addition to the gifts galore. The photographer did his best to capture every possible expression. Dinner was laid. The aroma of biryani filled the house.  The entire atmosphere all of a sudden comes across so joyful and beautiful. There was laughter. Talk. Gossip. Togetherness. Gawd everything is so perfect. Just the way we all had considered it. Ammi looked happy that finally am going to start fasting from next Friday, which was four days away.

Unexpectedly all the sound stopped and darkness took over my vision. Why? I passed out naturally. It was way too late for a tiny toddler to be up late in the night. Gee.

But the next day I was in high spirits to leave for school, for I was given extra kheer and biryani in my lunch box (rarity rarity I say) and moreover I can’t wait to share the details with my friends.

Shafi, Mujeeb, Jameel, Shakir all had a bite from my lunch box while attentively listening to my rozey rakhai tale and how am going to start fasting. Soon it was time to go home.

Everyone was having their regular evening chai at home when I walked in howling from the school. Stunned, my sister asked me if something happened at the school. Was I bullied? Teased? Someone stole something? Did I not do the homework? What? Why? No reply except, I was crying.

Finally I came to my senses when ammi hugged me and asked me softly and to everyone’s shock announced that am not going to fast ever.

But why? They all asked in unison.

“My friends at school said that I can’t go to the toilet while fasting!!!”



FASTING: The word Ramadan comes from the Arabic root “ramida” or “ar-ramad,” which means scorching heat or dryness.

Ramadan is a time of spiritual reflection, improvement and increased devotion and worship. Muslims are expected to put more effort into following the teachings of Islam. The fast (sawm) begins at dawn and ends at sunset. In addition to abstaining from eating and drinking, Muslims also increase restraint, such as abstaining from sexual relations and generally sinful speech and behavior. The act of fasting is said to redirect the heart away from worldly activities, its purpose being to cleanse the soul by freeing it from harmful impurities. Ramadan also teaches Muslims how to practice self-discipline, self-control, sacrifice, and empathy for those who are less fortunate; thus encouraging actions of generosity and charity (zakat).

No comments:

Post a Comment

Horror!

In much of Indian cinema, horror as a genre has been reduced to camp, over the top, either too costumy or showing nudity, bad acting and ner...